1999 RX-300 Antenna
Abid Khan
2011-03-04 15:30:24 UTC
Hello,

This is the second time I am going to replace antenna in my RX300,
first one broke, replacement worked for awhile and the string broke
again, Is there anyway I can make it not to go up and down with Radio
ON/OFF, just stay up.

Abid
Wayne
2011-03-05 21:32:41 UTC
Post by Abid Khan
Hello,
This is the second time I am going to replace antenna in my RX300,
first one broke, replacement worked for awhile and the string broke
again, Is there anyway I can make it not to go up and down with Radio
ON/OFF, just stay up.
Abid
-
Sorry to hear about that, as I went through a replacement also. If you get
the antenna into the upward position, then disconnecting the power to the
up/down motor would allow it to stay up. That assumes that the threaded
nylon mechanism is somewhat intact to hold it in place.

If you haven't personally worked on the antenna mechanism, there are online
instructions on how to access the antenna drive motor. With an empty trunk,
and good instructions, the job might be done in 15 minutes.
Ray O
2011-03-06 04:31:33 UTC
Post by Abid Khan
Hello,
This is the second time I am going to replace antenna in my RX300,
first one broke, replacement worked for awhile and the string broke
again, Is there anyway I can make it not to go up and down with Radio
ON/OFF, just stay up.
Abid
You can disconnect the power as Wayne suggested, or install a flexible
antenna instead of a mast antenna. I'm pretty sure that the RX has a
diversity antenna system with an antenna embedded in one of the windows in
addition to the mast antenna, so even a stubby antenna should provide decent
reception.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Wayne
2011-03-07 00:45:40 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by Abid Khan
Hello,
This is the second time I am going to replace antenna in my RX300,
first one broke, replacement worked for awhile and the string broke
again, Is there anyway I can make it not to go up and down with Radio
ON/OFF, just stay up.
Abid
You can disconnect the power as Wayne suggested, or install a flexible
antenna instead of a mast antenna. I'm pretty sure that the RX has a
diversity antenna system with an antenna embedded in one of the windows in
addition to the mast antenna, so even a stubby antenna should provide
decent reception.
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Not to hijack the thread, but do you know what the antenna in the glass is
for? When I bought my 99RX, I was told that it was for a console mounted
cellfone (remember this was 11 years ago). Later, I was told that it was
for FM radio, and the whip for AM. And finally, a tech claiming 20 years of
experience said that there was no window antenna....it was just some wire
connected to nothing.

The question has been "overcome by events" since I sold the 99 RX and bought
a new one. However, it is unusual to get such conflicting answers out of
"professionals".
--Wayne
Ray O
2011-03-07 03:38:07 UTC
Post by Wayne
Post by Ray O
Post by Abid Khan
[...]
The antenna embedded in the glass on some Toyotas and Lexus models is part
of the diversity antenna system. In sedans, the antenna is usually above
the rear defogger grid, and in SUV's and wagons, it is often in the right
rear window between the C and D pillar.

Audio systems with the diversity antenna system monitor the signal quality
between the antenna embedded in the glass and the mast and use the input
with the best signal quality. The radio will have 2 coaxial antenna cables
plugged in the back.

Some models offer different radios, some with and some without the diversity
antenna system, and radios without the diversity antenna system will only
have 1 coaxial cable plugged in the back.
Wayne
-Wayne
Abid Khan
2011-03-07 15:24:34 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by Abid Khan
Hello,
This is the second time I am going to replace antenna in my RX300,
first one broke, replacement worked for awhile and the string broke
again, Is there anyway I can make it not to go up and down with Radio
ON/OFF, just stay up.
Abid
You can disconnect the power as Wayne suggested, or install a flexible
antenna instead of a mast antenna.  I'm pretty sure that the RX has a
diversity antenna system with an antenna embedded in one of the windows in
addition to the mast antenna, so even a stubby antenna should provide decent
reception.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Thanks Ray and Wayne,

I already have new mast antenna so I will go with that, Wayne you are
right 15 minutes, since this is my second time, I will install and get
it all the way up and disconnect motor power to see if it stay up.
Thanks

Abid
z***@tink.net
2011-03-16 13:53:33 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by Abid Khan
[...]

FWIW, my '93 GS300 with 105,000 miles just had to have the power antenna
replaced. As the car is in great condition, I opted to spend the money
(replaced it myself).

Rich