2000 RX300 Check Engine light on after Battery Replacement
techtrainer
2008-10-18 18:21:44 UTC
Hi Folks:

2000 RX300, 68K miles, 2WD. Has been maintained regularly .. regular
oil changes, 60K mile svc,
timing belt also replaced about 6 months back. Car is mainly used as
a soccer mom car, that is why
the low mileage.

I just had original battery replaced by a mechanic. Next day, for the
first time
the check engine light came up and stays on (does not blink). I am
pretty sure this
has something to do with the battery replacement.

Any tips on how to correct this ?
Thanks for your assistance.

Ray O
2008-10-18 21:53:39 UTC
Post by techtrainer
2000 RX300, 68K miles, 2WD. Has been maintained regularly .. regular
oil changes, 60K mile svc,
timing belt also replaced about 6 months back. Car is mainly used as
a soccer mom car, that is why
the low mileage.
I just had original battery replaced by a mechanic. Next day, for the
first time
the check engine light came up and stays on (does not blink). I am
pretty sure this
has something to do with the battery replacement.
Any tips on how to correct this ?
Thanks for your assistance.
There are hundreds of possible trouble codes that would illuminate the check
engine light, none that relate to battery replacement. Rather than making
wild guesses, take the car to someplace that will check the trouble codes
for free, or lend you a scan tool like Autozone. After you scan the codes,
write down the numeric trouble code(s) and post them here.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
techtrainer
2008-10-19 14:34:14 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by techtrainer
[...]
Many thanks for your reply. I took the car back to the same mechanic
and using a scanner he confirmed that
this is due to two (or three) oxygen sensors which need to be
replaced. As of now, he has reset the code so the
light does not come up. He told me if it lights up again and stays
on .. I need to drive it for 60 miles or so and then
bring it in so he can replace the two sensors.

Does this sound right to you ? I do trust my mechanic .. have been
going to him for around 7 years for my old 1987 Toyota Camry.
Question .. what do these sensors do ?

Thanks again.
Ray O
2008-10-19 15:24:06 UTC
Post by techtrainer
Post by Ray O
Post by techtrainer
[...]
As I mentioned before, it is unlikely that a battery replacement would cause
a check engine light to come on. It is certainly feasible that one or more
oxygen sensors has failed. The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for O2 sensors
uses 2-trip detection logic, which means that the computer has to detect the
same problem on 2 consecutive trips.

Most likely, the check engine light will come back on. It would help if you
got and posted the specific trouble codes that your mechanic found.
techtrainer
2008-10-19 18:33:42 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by techtrainer
Post by Ray O
Post by techtrainer
[...]
Yes, I remember he tested twice and got the same code. I will ask my
mechanic
and post the actual trouble codes found.
j***@hotmail.com
2008-10-22 03:43:04 UTC
While battery replacement shouldn't cause oxygen sensor codes, your
mechanic was right: drive it for a while. Let the battery charge up
and see how things work.

Normally batteries should be charged prior to installation, because
they sat on the shelf and gradually lost charge. Otherwise it will
take a car (especially a low miles, low speeds one a long time to
fully charge the battery). A weak battery may mean the computer isn't
working properly.
m***@gmail.com
m***@gmail.com