Lexus IS 350
h***@gmail.com
2007-04-19 15:06:26 UTC
Two days ago I was driving on the freeway and I heard a hissing noise.
I turned down the radio and after a few seconds the noise was gone.
The climate control (AC - air conditioner) was on. It continued to run
but it didn't cool the air anymore.>> Has anyone else had this happen
to them?The dealer has said that the AC condenser has "road damage"
and that has caused the freon to leak.The dealer is trying to charge
me $1100 for this "road damage" to the AC Condenser. I believe it is a
design defect or part defect.How come other cars don't have this
problem. Their condensers must be in a location that is NOT
susceptible to damage like Lexus IS models OR their AC codensers must
be made from a better (stronger material). I was told to file this on
my comprehensive policy with my insurance provider because it is not
covered by my warranty.

If Lexus does not pay for this thing, I will report it. If enough
people complain maybe Lexus will replace the AC Condensors.

I have already filed a complaint with Lexus Corporate office.
Ray O
2007-04-19 16:52:25 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
In most vehicles, the AC condenser is in front of the radiator, and a
"golden BB" that happens to fit through the grille openings or gets kicked
up from underneath can damage the condenser. The drawback to making the
condenser out of stronger material is reduced cooling efficiency and added
weight, and no matter how strong it is, there is the chance that something
will damage it. There is a technical service bulletin on Corollas for this
condition but I could not find one for the IS, and your post is the first
I've heard of the condition. The fix for the Corolla is a mesh screen
installed in front of the condenser, and you could probably rig something
like that yourself, or if enough people complain, Lexus may develop a
countermeasure. The drawback to installing a screen is that it may collect
leaves or dirt and clog more quickly so you have to keep it clean.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
a***@gmail.com
2014-08-01 03:39:34 UTC
I just had that happened to me today, got a $1500 quote to fix due to ac condenser being damaged which caused Freon to leak.